Whether you want to save a clip of the game you are playing, record a portion of the live stream on Instagram, or create a video on how to do it for your friends, recording your iPhone screen can be very helpful. You can send the recorded video clip to a relative or friend, upload it on Twitter or post it to your Instagram story. Here are the steps on how to record your screen even if you have a new or old iPhone.
Screen recording is built into the iPhone, but to use it, you must first check if there is a screen record button in your Control Center. To open the Control Center, swipe down from the top-right corner if you are using an iPhone X or higher, or swipe if you have an iPhone 8 or earlier. Check if you have a screen record button that looks like a dot with a circle around it. If you do not, here’s how you can add it:
Open up Settings
Tap “Control Center”
Tap “Customize Co
This is where you add and remove items from your Control Center menu. Scroll down and press the green button with the + next to “Screen Recording”. It moves from the “More Controls” section at the bottom to the “Add” section at the top.
Record your screen
Now, you are ready to record your screen. (Be aware that there are apps that block screen recording.) To get started:
- Open the app or website you want to record Swipe up to drag up the Control Center menu (iPhone 8 or earlier) or drag down the menu from the top-right corner (iPhone X or later).
- Press the Crescent Moon button to turn on Don’t Disturb, which pauses calls and notifications temporarily. This is useful because when you record your screen, it records everything that is shown, including notifications.
- If you hold down the Do Not Disturb button, you will see more options such as simply switching off notifications for an hour or schedule when you want to pause them.
- While you are still in Control Center, press the Screen Record button to begin recording. After you press the screen record button, the timer will start, giving you three seconds before the recording starts. Tap the screen to hide the Control Center menu.
Now you’re ready to record both video and audio of what you see or hear on your phone – however, you will not record any audio that is not produced from your phone. If you want to record your own audio (or any other external sounds) in addition to recording the audio you are playing on your phone, you must turn on your microphone:
- Before you start recording, hold down the Screen Record button. Press the microphone button on the pop-up screen to turn on the microphone. Then press “Start Recording”. The countdown begins in this window. Tap anywhere on the screen to exit the screen, and then tap the next screen to close Control Center.
- Once you turn on the microphone, it will remain intact if you do not go back in and turn it off after you have recorded your screen.
- To stop recording, swipe up (or down) to access the Control Center again and press the Record button again.
If you do not have media open (for example, you are watching a YouTube video or Instagram story), you will see a red bar at the top of your screen (or on the left if you have a new iPhone) you are recording. If you click on that bar, you will see a pop-up window asking if you want to stop recording. Press “Stop”.
- Video with your remaining photos and videos will be stored in your Photos app